Thursday, May 29, 2008

Maria is a big sister!



All in all, Maria is adjusting really well to being a big sister. She's a little more emotional than usual, but she seems to understand that Owen needs me almost all the time right now. It helps that Jim has been around for the past two weeks to take her on outings to the aquarium and his office--we'll have to see how she does next week when he goes back to work.


Meanwhile, Owen's relentless hunger shows no signs of abating. On the bright side, I'm getting a lot of reading done while parked on the couch feeding him (although I have to admit I've also been watching the Ellen show, So You Think You Can Dance, Style by Jury, etc.--not even I can read ALL the time.) Helpfully, I got a free subscription to, of all things, Us Weekly when I ordered some Star Wars books for Declan's birthday. (It's like People for readers with short attention spans.) This is just the sort of brain candy I would never normally read--in fact, I'd be too embarassed to buy it in a store. Yet I find myself devouring it every week, as if I cared how much Katie Holmes paid for Suri's new dress ($78) or how Christina Aguilera lost her post-baby weight. It will definitely be a good thing when I go back to work, even if that just means going into the guest room and staring at the computer for a few hours a day.


In other news, Jim picked up Owen's birth certificate today. It's in Thai, but the official translation reveals that Master Owen was born in the 1st quarter of the waning moon, the 6th lunar month, the year of the Rat. Good to know! In a few weeks, we'll head over to the Embassy to get the equivalent of a US birth certificate for him, plus apply for a passport. No rush--we still can't even leave the apartment, let alone the country!

No comments: